As we passed through Duluth on our way back to Mom and Dad's house, we parked and hung out around the harbor for an hour or so watching tankers heading out into Lake Superior. Each time a ship went by, the aerial lift bridge went up. It was a strange feeling to stand under the bridge as it lowered — just the idea of an entire road coming down on our heads.
There were three lighthouses on the breakwaters that lined the harbor entrance. This is the North Breakwater Lighthouse. It began service in 1910. The lens is 43 feet above the lake.
The South Breakwater Outer Lighthouse was built in 1901. The light is 44 feet above the lake.
The South Breakwater Inner Lighthouse was also built in 1901. The light is 68 feet above the lake.